Monday, May 24, 2010

Seeking brownie recipe from page 91 of Betty Crocker's NEW Boys and Girls Cookbook, (C)1965?

I actually own this book, and it sure isn't new any more! It has a spiral binding. My mother kept it for me all these years and tore out the brownie recipe from page 91. The page is nowhere to be found. She would really like to have that recipe. Does anyone have this book? Would you be willing to send me the recipe?? The book isn't even in our library system! Many thanks!!

Seeking brownie recipe from page 91 of Betty Crocker's NEW Boys and Girls Cookbook, (C)1965?
Believe it or not this book was a big part of my childhood. It will take me a minute to type it. I'll be back to post.





Heat oven to 350





Grease a square pan, 8x8x2 inches.





In bottom part of double boiler, heat about 1 inch of water to boiling.





Place in top part of double boiler:





2 squares unsweetened chocolate (2 ounces)


1/3 cup shortening





Set over the boiling water to melt, stirring occasionally.





Remove from heat.





Beat in with rotary egg beater:





1 cup sugar


2 eggs





Stir together in bowl:





3/4 cup Gold Medal Flour


1/2 teaspoon baking powder


1/2 teaspoon salt





Mix these ingredients into the chocolate mixture.





Stir in:





1/2 cup chopped nuts, if you like





Spread batter in prepared pan.





Bake 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick stuck into the center comes out clean. Cool in pan and cut into squares.





Makes about 16 squares.
Reply:Thanks for the walk down memory lane! I received my book on my 11th birthday from a old German lady that kind of adopted me. My book has no date on it whatsoever except her birthday wishes and the year..1963. The same recipe, however, is found on pg 138! It has kids comments on the bottom of most pages and some wonderful color photos of the food items.


I cooked from it as often as I was allowed--and even when I went out on my own, I referred to it!. Holy Smokes !! Do you know how old I am??? Yesterday was my birthday, so again, thanks for the memories!


No comments:

Post a Comment