Sunday, August 2, 2009

My Saturn SC1 needs a new A/C compressor. Can I change it myself and just charge it up using refill kits?

I can get a compressor for $312 and freon costs %26lt;$30. Why do I need to pay somebody to do it? I have all the instructions to do it but I am nervous. Is there anything I should watch out for for well over $1000? I know that I need to keep it capped, clean and level when I install it. Any other advice? Do rebuilt compressors come with the oil already inside it like the new ones do?

My Saturn SC1 needs a new A/C compressor. Can I change it myself and just charge it up using refill kits?
OK here is what you do put the compressor on it then take it to your mechanic for service you see it has to be evacuated down and you cannot do that unless you are a mechanic, hope this helps.
Reply:Most states now require a special license to purchace refrigerant from auto parts stores.





When I worked in auto parts, we couldn't sell the stuff to anyone who walked in the door.





Also, it requires a special closed system machine to fill and reclain refrigerant.


No comments:

Post a Comment